Sunday, February 28, 2010

Being Gathered

I worshipped with Camas Friends Church this morning.

The reading was from:
Luke 13:31-35 (Amplified Bible)
31At that very hour some Pharisees came up and said to Him, Go away from here, for Herod is determined to kill You.
32And He said to them, Go and tell that fox [sly and crafty, skulking and cowardly], Behold, I drive out demons and perform healings today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish (complete) My course.
33Nevertheless, I must continue on My way today and tomorrow and the day after that--for it will never do for a prophet to be destroyed away from Jerusalem!
34O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who continue to kill the prophets and to stone those who are sent to you! How often I have desired and yearned to gather your children together [around Me], as a hen [gathers] her young under her wings, but you would not!
35Behold, your house is forsaken (abandoned, left to you destitute of God's help)! And I tell you, you will not see Me again until the time comes when you shall say, Blessed (to be celebrated with praises) is He Who comes in the name of the Lord!


TheQuery was:
How might you gather or be gathered over Lent?
When I first sat down, I said a silent prayer that we would sense the presence of the Divine among us.
After a time, to my complete discomfort I was moved to speak and was glad that I had put my inhaler in my pocket that morning, as it made me breathless and dizzy.
I said something to the effect that in our day words can be stones that we throw at each other. It grieves me that we do this among branches of Friends with our judgments of each other before actually knowing each other. I pray that G_D will help us to gather and that we do so with gratitude.
After I sat down, I remembered our last Pacific Northwest Quaker Women's Theology Conference and the vision that came to me of the poster that illustrates the various branches of Friends, and my observation that it is still one tree.

No comments: